Thursday, July 9, 2009

Hospital Visit

Warning..this may be a TMI post. Yesterday around 7:30 I felt blood. I checked my pantyliner and sure enough it had bright red blood on it. I got home and went to the bathroom and it was A LOT. It made the toilet water red again (like the first time 6 weeks ago). I had to wipe A LOT to not see anymore blood. I showed Brandon and he told me not to worry. I started crying anyway and called my friend to see if I could use her doppler. She brought it right over and was crying as she handed it to me (GREAT FRIEND). We found the heartbeat but I still felt anxious. A few minutes later I went to the bathroom again and it was the exact same thing. I called Brandon and for the first time in this pregnancy he looked a little worried. He called his stepmom who works at the Woman's hospital and she said it was probably the clot but we could go in if we wanted. Brandon said lets go because I know you will be a nervous wreck if we don't. We headed over there. It felt like the longest 45 minutes of my life!! She had called the center so they took us right back with out waiting!! The put me in a room and I changed into a gown. They told me to put my old pad in the garbage so the doctor could see it. They then gave me this huge pad to put between my legs..which is kind of hard when they tell you not to wear underwear!
I then got in the bed and the nurse came and checked all my vitals and asked me routine questions. She then left and came back saying the doctor wanted her to check and see if my cervix was closed. She checked and it was...huge sigh of relieve. The doctor then came in and talked about my subcorinic hematoma and said it was probably that. She said that she would have been worried also and she would have come in too. She said I'm a mama now and the worry will never stop. She told me not to feel bad about coming in because anyone else would have done the same thing. That made me feel really good.
A few minutes later someone came and got me for ultrasound. The ultrasound tech found the baby right away and said " I have a lot to look at but I want you to see the baby so that you have piece of mind." It was so fabulous seeing that beating heartbeat. I wanted to jump off the table and get on my knees and praise God. She then turned the screen and only she and Brandon could see. She was trying to measure the heartbeat but the baby was moving around too much. Brandon looked so excited. He said the legs and arms were moving up and down and then the head was moving. He must have gotten tired because he settled down enough for her to measure the heartbeat which was 163. The baby also measured 11w 1 day. She then took awhile to look at everything else..ovaries, cervix, etc.
I then went back to my room and waited for the doctor to come back. She came and explained that I did still have the hematoma. She said that I would definitely bleed more and it would be bright red so not to worry. She said she was worried about the fact that I'm still on baby aspirin and that could be making it worse. She told to ask my OB about it Friday when I go in. She told me that sometimes hematomas resolve themselves by 13 or 14 weeks and sometimes they last the whole pregnancy!! I sure hope not!! Brandon said if that's the case can we just keep some spare clothes at the hospital;) She then released us and gave me some papers for my OB on Friday.
That was the most frightened I've been the whole pregnancy! Everyone says "Don't worry"! They can say that because they aren't living with this all the time. They aren't scared every time they go to the bathroom. They haven't been through so much heartache to get pregnant. They don't have their WHOLE heart and all their dreams invested into something so precious. They haven't watched their baby grow every week on ultrasounds and have such a fear that they wouldn't see that baby again. I know you girls understand...you have lived that same worry. Thanks for listening..sorry this post was so long;)
'

19 comments:

Stace said...

I'm so glad you went in and got checked out. I know it was nerve wracking, but at least you know all is okay with little CM! Best of luck for the next few months!!!!!!!

Melissa said...

Oh my goodness, I would have gone to the hospital if I saw all that blood also. I'm happy to hear sweet baby is ok - baby sounds like he/she is doing great. The nurse is right that you will constantly worry, I worried thru my entire pregnancy (did IVF as well). I thought I would be calmer after the first trimester but then I read all about incompentent cervix and am convinced that will happened to me, then in my third trimester I thought there was a day she wasn't moving so I went to the doc for a non-stress test and of course as soon as I am hooked up she is intent on kicking and beating me...you will never stop worrying now. Thats been a mommy! :o)

sweetpeanme said...

Ugh...this pregnancy sure is keeping you on your toes isn't it??!!! Or maybe its keeping you on your knees! :o)
Keep growing little one!!!

ashley said...

We have lived the same worry you are going through and no matter what anyone says, you are going to worry and you're gonna worry a lot. I hope this hematoma clears up for you soon. I have to agree that the baby aspirin is probably not helping things. Keep us posted.

Dianne said...

Aghh! scary! My first ultasound is next week and I am so scared I want it done now!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi, I found your blog through another and have been following since shortly before your BFP. I too went through infertility treatments, although did actually end up conceiving on my own. I understand the constant worry- I am 8 weeks and also have a sub-choronic bleed- started at 5 weeks 3 days. My doctor did tell me to stop taking the baby aspirin and also said no heavy housework and such. He said when I bleed heavy it is my body telling me I have done too much. Praying for you!

Amber said...

I am so glad everything is okay. I would have been a total wreck, too! Glad you were able to see your baby again!! What a great heartbeat!

I was just told to stop the progesterone next week (10 weeks) and then stop the baby aspirin two weeks later (12 weeks). I'll be interested to hear what your doctor says on Friday.

Hoping for our own Peanut said...

ugh, you have had to deal with your fair share of blood. :/

at least all is well with CM and you can breathe easy.

Amber said...

so glad to hear everything is ok. I would have been worried as well.

The Dyess Family said...

Keeping you in my prayers. I am expecting and am assuming that we are about a week apart on due dates...I am due Jan. 23. My husband and I had to go through infertility treatments due to PCOS. So I truly understand all of your worry and about your WHOLE heart being in this baby. My best advice (told to me by my RE) is "DO NOT WORRY ABOUT WHAT YOU CANNOT CHANGE...YOU HAVE TO PUT ALL OF YOUR TRUST IN GOD AND HE WILL TAKE CARE OF YOU!" This really hit home with me and I have to say that I really look at things differently now. I try not to worry at all, bc ultimately if something does happen, that was God's plan, and there is nothing that I could have done to change it.

Carrie said...

How terrifying! I made an ER visit with my subchorionic hematoma, too. It is the scariest time, so don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

So glad all is well... let us know how you are doing!

Joy@WDDCH said...

That IS frightening! I had some scant spotting this pregnancy and about flipped my lid, thinking the WORST. So I can only imagine a toilet full of red blood.

That doctor sounds amazing and handled everything very well, even reassuring you like that. I'm very impressed!

And yes, it could be the baby aspirin as it is a blood thinner.

twondra said...

I definitely would've gone too! I'm such a worrywart. I'm sooooo glad everything is okay. (((HUGS)))

Anonymous said...

i came across ur blog, i am pregnant also and had a subchorionic hemmorrhage in my first trimester. my doc ordered strict pelvic rest (had i been bleeding it would have been bedrest) for 2 straight weeks. that seemed to have done the trick and let it heal completely. u might want to consider being at least on pelvic rest to give it time to heal. they explained its like a scab, the more u pick at a scab the longer it takes to heal. any strain ur pelvis has (lifting, strenuous effort, and especially sex, or ANY stimulation down there for that matter) will be like picking at a scab and make it take longer. i wish u all the best!!!

Angelwingsbaby said...

I too have a SCH feel free to check my blog as I have blogged about my experience with it etc.My bleeding started at 9weeks 1 day.I have not had a second bleed (praise god) but I still have the hematoma and I am 16weeks 2 days now.They told me if it doesn't resolve itself around 20 weeks most likely it will stay the whole pregnancy.Also that it can cause you to go into preterm labor if it stays.I was on strict bedrest,presribed extended PIO shots and estrogen,and restrictions.I am currently off bedrest unless I have another bleed I am on pelvic rest and cleaning and lifting restrictions.I blogged about some of this.If you have any questions feel free to contact me as my email address is right on my blog under contacting me. Hang in there even though it is terrifying. Trust me I understand.

Kristy said...

I'm so glad that everything looks okay. That had to be horribly scary. I hope that the bleeding doesn't persist too much longer.

Melody said...

I'm so glad you went! My husband and I are opposite and when I felt the SLIGHTEST twinge he made me sit down. I would have gone DEFINITELY for that. I don't remember the name of it but there is a place where you can rent baby dopplers for 1, 3, or 6 months at a time. It's really not that expensive and that's what we did. I'm a little heavy so I couldn't hear Baily with my rented dobbler until about 14 weeks but it was SO amazing! We would listen to her every night (and sometimes during the day when I would feel nervous). It is a HUGE stress releiver! Especially the farther along you get. When the baby runs out of room to move a lot that can get a little unnerving too! You should get one. I'll try to look up the website for you. Love and hugs!

Melody said...

Bad English teacher! I know I spelled Reliever wrong, lol.

Here's the website:

http://www.heartbeatsathome.com/dopplers.cfm

Just Another Mother said...

That sound like some very scary stuff. I think you've had a double whammy of bleeding because of the empty sac and the hematoma. I wish all the bleeding would just go away for you. I know how stressed and worried you must be, even if you do know the reason. I'm glad they were so thorough and all looked good on the u/s (except for that evil hematoma!).